Remote | Full Time
Join Mondly by Pearson, one of the leading language learning platforms worldwide, in our mission to revolutionize language education.
Mondly offers high-quality online learning in English and 40 other languages in a combination of 1300+ different language pairs. With innovative technology and engaging gamified content, we have won the trust of over 110 million customers globally. We lead the industry with cutting-edge technology such as VR, AR, and AI integrated into our core products, earning accolades like "Best New App" by Apple, "App of the Year" in EMEA by Facebook, "Editors' Choice" by Google, and "Best Apps of 2020" by Huawei.
With Mondly by Pearson, you'll be part of a company that is dedicated to making language learning accessible, innovative, and transformative for all. Our core values, from programming to design, marketing, and language courses, are anchored in innovation. Together, we can empower individuals to unlock their full language learning potential and make progress in their lives.
About the Position:
The Engineering Director will grow an engineering organization to drive the continuous evolution of ELL digital products and applications. You will support the post-acquisition integration journey of Mondly by Pearson into the ELL division and drive key activities for successful delivery of the Direct to Consumer journey of Mondly by Pearson and ELL. The Director of Technology will lead teams of technical experts to build amazing digital products and mobile applications leveraging the latest technologies in the AR/VR space as well as Generative AI. You will report to the VP CTO ELL and operate as part of the Technology team.
• Accountable for deep understanding of the needs of the customer and market demands, and for collaborating with Product Management and stakeholders to define and drive a vision and roadmap for the Mondly by Pearson ecosystem.
• Accountable for managing support for existing products and services, as well as the development of new products and services. Owns on time and on budget delivery of projects conducted within the area.
• Define strategic investments for technology in Mondly by Pearson and manage the portfolio’s overall budget in coordination with the ELL CTO and the Mondly by Pearson CFO.
• Accountable for scaling up and industrializing the software development processes to deliver products enhancements and new solutions at scale.
• Modernize the way software is delivered and applications roadmaps are managed.
• Partner with Product Management to align on the strategic directions and maintain a pipeline of demands for digital solutions, prioritize them, and drive their rollout and deployment globally.
• Define an automation testing strategy for the Mondly by Pearson’s apps and products and be accountable for its implementation.
• Define DevSecOps strategy for the Mondly by Pearson’s apps and products and be accountable for its implementation.
• Accountable for audits remediations and risks mitigations.
• Accountable for overall security and compliance for the Mondly by Pearson’s apps and products.
• Own the sourcing strategy for the technology area within Mondly by Pearson and execute on the hiring plans for ramping up and growing the current tech teams.
• Drive the activities of post-acquisition of Mondly by Pearson to fully integrate it into Pearson/ELL, e.g. systems integration, tools migration, processes adoptions, etc.
• Drive the alignment to the broader integration of Mondly by Pearson products and apps in the broader Pearson ecosystem.
• Create an environment of continuous improvement through mentoring, feedback, and coaching.
• Drive innovation within a fast-paced agile environment.
• Role model a culture of partnership, teamwork, innovation and diversity, equity & inclusion.
• Recruit, retain and develop top talents.
• Provide inspirational, value driven leadership to the team such that they develop and are confident and capable in execution.
• Provide direction, guidance and training to their direct team; manage the onboarding plan of new employees and ensure consistency around practices, tools and technologies used inside the team.
• Participate in and champion a highly collaborative, customer-centric, data-driven culture that challenges norms with a bias to action; support diversity & inclusiveness of thoughts, experiences, and approaches to solve challenges.
• Duly observe all applicable health and safety laws and regulations.
Qualifications & Skills
• Extensive experience in ramping up and scaling up software development teams, especially focused on Mobile applications
• A broad engineering background and deep experience leading full-stack teams in mobile development on both iOS and Android in the Direct to Consumer world
• Proven success developing and delivering complex, scalable, and highly reliable solutions • Prior experience as a Director of Engineering at an established, high-growth technology company. Ideally you have served as an engineering leader in a successful, dynamic startup (startup experience is highly desired)
• Strong experience in Scrum/Agile and an interest in helping the team develop agreements and processes around that methodology
• Strong understanding of emerging technologies and software engineering methodologies
• Data driven mindset and knowledge of data analytics solutions
• Relevant experience in managing and mentoring SW engineering teams in a complex and matrix organization as well as in building relationships with senior stakeholders
• Experience in negotiating and managing contracts and relationships with external vendors
• Prior experience in managing OPEX and CAPEX investments
• Relationship management skills and the ability to use them to drive value both within and externally
• Possesses a global outlook and approach
• Passion for education and learning
• Experience in working with multinational, multicultural and distributed teams
• Experience in working with multinational, multicultural, and distributed teams
• Change Management & Organizational Effectiveness experience
• Strong interpersonal skills, including peer and leader relationship building
• Evident fluency in English, being confident in speaking, reading and writing communication
At Mondly by Pearson, we believe the key to greatness lies in passion, dedication, achievement, and a good environment. We empower everyone to be at their best and we hold our team to high expectations, as we believe in their potential to achieve remarkable things. That’s why we offer a generous array of benefits and opportunities in return for your commitment.
Here are some of the benefits you’ll enjoy:
Join us at Mondly by Pearson and embark on a journey where high goals meet unparalleled rewards. Together, we can surpass boundaries, accomplish extraordinary feats, and shape the future of our industry