So, are you ready to learn how to speak Portuguese? Great! Then let’s find out how to learn Portuguese online.
If you are wondering what is the best way to learn Portuguese free of charge, you are in the right place.
The best way to learn Portuguese fast is with language learning app Mondly. Loved by over 100 million learners worldwide, Mondly uses award-winning technologies, gamification and practical topics to help you speak Portuguese from day 1. The app is based on the inductive method and features bite-sized lessons on real-world situations, so you’ll learn only what’s relevant. Here’s how you’ll learn Portuguese with Mondly:
If you want to get comfortable speaking Portuguese as soon as possible, it’s best to learn new words and conversational phrases every day. After all, expanding your vocabulary is the fastest path to Portuguese fluency. Just remember to focus on the high-frequency, high-value words first. The more practical words you learn, the faster you’ll be able to carry on a basic conversation without stopping to look for the right words.
You are your best teacher. If you’re looking to learn Portuguese or any other language, don’t forget this. From time to time, you’ll be forced to understand a complex grammar concept and what you need to do is make the right associations and simplify the problem as much as possible. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to learn certain grammar concepts when you connect them with something you already know.
Building up the courage to speak Portuguese is just as important as expanding your vocabulary. However, speaking a new language for the first time in front of native people often feels like talking on stage. Luckily, language learning apps can help you overcome this foreign language anxiety. Try getting ready for the real world by having a conversation with a chatbot and watch the magic happen!
Whenever you want to learn something new, you want to learn from the best in the business. So if you want to learn Portuguese, who would be best at it if not the natives? Avoid learning resources that use robotic voices to teach you Portuguese. Instead, go for the ones that use audio of real native speakers so you can get your brain used to the right sounds. Later on, pronunciation practice will be a piece of cake!
Learn with native speakers
● Only 5% of the world’s Portuguese speakers live in Portugal. Unsurprising, considering Portugal has a total population of only 10.3 million compared to Brazil’s 212.6 million.
● Portuguese has Arabic influences. Due to the conquest of Portugal and Spain by the Islamic Moors from North Africa and the Middle East in the 8th century, a form of Arabic was the official language of the peninsula until the reconquest in the 13th century. As a result, the Portuguese vocabulary features many words of Arabic origin.
● It was declared the official language of Portugal in 1290. Latin reached the territory of modern-day Portugal in around 200BC and evolved into Portuguese in the several hundred years that followed. However, Portuguese only became the official language in 1290 when King Denis of Portugal proclaimed it so.
● Three new letters were added to the Portuguese alphabet in 2009. Until a while ago, the Portuguese alphabet had only 23 letters. However, with the rise of foreign words (primarily of English origin), it became necessary to add “K”, “W”, and “Y” to the mix.
● A Portuguese-speaking person or nation is referred to as “lusophone” (lusófono).
● Portuguese and Galician are considered mutually intelligible. The two languages evolved right next to each other and inevitably came to share a lot of similarities.
Our language experts have identified and selected the most common real-life situations you can find yourself in. As a result, the app breaks down the learning process into short lessons organized into highly relevant themes. Pick your topic of interest and learn words and phrases to master it fully. Introducing yourself, getting around the city, buying a ticket, renting a hotel room or shopping – it’s all covered in detail so you can learn the Portuguese language essentials in an easy and fun way. Before you know it, you will be able to have a real conversation in Portuguese.
Wouldn’t it be fantastic to have real conversations in Portuguese from the comfort of your own home? That’s precisely why we’ve built this virtual conversational partner – a computer program so advanced that talking to it feels like a real conversation with a friend. Jump right in, and the app asks you questions, understands what you are saying, and responds as a native speaker would. Afraid of getting a word wrong? Don’t worry about it. Every time you get something wrong or have difficulties with pronunciation, the app offers instant feedback. With each conversation, you’ll come one step closer to fluency while building your confidence to speak Portuguese in real life.
Imagine having a Portuguese teacher in your pocket, ready to jump in and help you every step of the way during your language learning journey. Instant feedback is essential when you want to improve and master pronunciations. This is why Mondly has developed a state-of-the-art speech recognition software that checks your Portuguese pronunciation in real time and suggests improvements on the spot. Learning Portuguese has never been easier!
With Mondly, you will learn the correct Portuguese pronunciations by listening to phrases spoken by native speakers. We have worked with professional Portuguese speakers to bring you a high-class audio experience that we believe is essential if you want to learn Portuguese fast. Learn Portuguese with Mondly, and the next time you have a conversation with a Portuguese speaker, get ready to receive compliments for your great accent and flawless pronunciation.
1 000 000+ + Ratings
Mondly was named "Editors' Choice" in Google Play and "Best New App" by Apple.
Related PagesLearn Portuguese OnlinePortuguese wordsPortuguese phrases and expressionsHow to speak PortuguesePortuguese grammarPortuguese lessons
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join over 1 million people enjoying our occasional language tips, special offers and more.
The email address is not valid