Learning Turkish should be considered a personal triumph. Here's everything you need to know about the Turkish alphabet and its...
Think of it this way: if flirting is an art, then you are the artist and the pick-up lines you use are your works of art (we’re exaggerating a bit for the sake of emphasis, but bear with us). Would you like people – or worst: your crush – to think that the art you create is cheap? Of course not. That’s why it’s crucial to choose your pick-up lines carefully and not overdo it. Remember: the best pick-up lines are not cringy or dirty, but classy, smooth, funny and charming. That’s the kind of pick-up lines that actually work in real life.
Merriam-Webster defines a “pick-up line” as “a prepared remark used by a person to start a conversation with a stranger they are interested in having a romantic relationship with”. In other words, a pick-up line is an icebreaker or a conversation opener. This means that pick-up lines are all about first impressions. And you know what they say: “you never get a second chance to make a good first impression”.
Lucky for you, our list includes carefully selected pick-up lines guaranteed to make a good first impression. Your only job will be to act them well: in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. The purpose is to make the other person blush, smile or even laugh. Not cringe and roll their eyes in annoyance.
So here are the absolute best pick-up lines in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and even German. Because nothing sounds better than a classy or funny pick-up line in your favorite foreign language.
The best pick-up lines in English
Some people seem to believe that the winning strategy in flirting is being a weirdo. While they may be fun to use, dirty pick-up lines are doomed to fail if not used in the right context. How would you feel if a complete stranger would walk up to you and make a dirty remark? Kinda weird, wouldn’t you? On the other hand, feel free to use this kind of pick-up lines with someone you know – maybe even with your partner in a game of what’s-the-cheesiest-pick-up-line-you-know.
By contrast, romantic, classy and even silly or nerdy pick-up lines have been known to have a higher success rate. The keyword we are looking for here is “appropriate”.
Let’s look at some of the best English pick-up lines you can use next time you talk to your crush or just someone you fancy.
- If you were a verb tense, you’d be plus-que-parfait.
- If you were a vegetable, you’d be a ‘cute-cumber’.
- No wonder the sky is gray. All the color is in your eyes.
- If I was an octopus, all my 3 hearts would beat for you.
- Forget hydrogen! You’re my number one element.
- Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at you, everyone else disappears.
- Even if there wasn’t any gravity on earth, I’d still fall for you.
- Are you an electrician? Because you’re definitely lighting up my day!
- You’re like a dictionary – you add meaning to my life.
- Is your name Google? Because you’re everything I’ve been searching for.
- You look so familiar… Didn’t we take a class together? I could’ve sworn we had chemistry.
- I’m not a photographer, but I can picture us together.
- Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again?
- If I were a cat, I’d spend all nine of my lives with you.
- You make my dopamine levels go all silly!
- Are you a tower? Because Eiffel for you.
- Are you lost, ma’am? Because heaven is a long way from here.
- You had me at your impeccable spelling and correct usage of grammar.
- I want our love to be like pi – irrational and never-ending.
- You must be related to Nikola Tesla because you’re electrifying.
- Falling in love with you takes less time than my DNA takes to replicate.
- I don’t know what Quidditch position you play, but you sure look like a Keeper.
- Is this the Hogwarts Express? Because it feels like you and I are headed somewhere magical.
Now have fun with these and don’t forget to adapt them to the given context. For example, use the last two only if you know for a fact that the person you are talking to is a Harry Potter fan.
Using the right pick-up lines in foreign countries
It’s no secret that many people learn new languages in the name of love. What’s spending a few months learning a new language compared to the joy of not having to deal with a language barrier in your relationship?
Yes, dating a foreigner is indeed a tough job, but flirting is tougher when there’s a language barrier involved. Besides, there are cultural differences you must take into consideration. Language barriers and culture gaps are a dangerous combo. Once again, being appropriate is very important. The last thing you want is to come across as creepy.
But we’ve got you covered. If you don’t speak the language yet, the following sometimes funny pick-up lines will at least help you make a good first impression and learn some foreign words as a bonus! That plus your charm should work wonders. Good luck!
Spanish pick-up lines
As you may expect, the Spanish language isn’t short on pick-up lines or piropos – as they are called in Spanish. On the contrary! Romance languages aren’t called “romance” for nothing.
Joking, but still! Latin people are known for their way of loving and their fiery passion. So here are some of the best Spanish pick-up lines you can use next time you visit a Spanish-speaking country.
- ¡Qué ojazos tienes!
“You have such beautiful eyes!”
- ¡Eres un sol!
“You are a sun!” – you can use this with someone you fancy, but also to compliment someone who is especially kind, sweet and considerate towards you.
- ¡Me gustas más que comer con los dedos!
“I like you more than eating with my fingers!” – this is funny, but not that common. It means that you like the other person very much – even more than eating without cutlery.
- Qué poco azul llevas… para el cielo que eres.
“What little blue you’re wearing… for the sky that you are.”
- Ojalá la mitad de las estrellas brillaran tanto como tus ojos.
“If only half of the stars in the sky shined as brightly as your eyes.”
- ¡Estás más bueno/a que el pan!
“You are tastier than bread!” – appropriate to use with someone you know (at least a little) and is very good-looking or in good shape.
“Bonbon!” or “Hottie!” – a short compliment you can say to both boys and girls. It means that they are good-looking.
- Lo que siento por ti es tan inmenso que, para guardarlo, me haría falta otro universo.
“What I feel for you is so enormous that, to keep it, I would need another universe.” – a pick-up line for someone with whom you are already involved with.
- ¿Crees en el amor a primera vista, o voy a tener que pasar dos veces?
“Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again?”
French pick-up lines
Like slang, pick-up lines may seem obsolete or useless when learning a new language, but they are not. They are like the inside jokes of the language you are trying to learn – French in this situation. Not only will you have fun mastering French pick-up lines, but you’ll also learn some new French words. Here are our favorite French pick-up lines.
- J’ai pas l’habitude d’aborder des inconnus mais ton sourire m’a invité à venir te parler.
“I’m not used to approaching strangers but your smile invited me to talk to you.”
- Tu as une idée du courage qu’il faut pour venir te parler ?
“Do you have any idea of the courage needed to talk to you?”
- Je fais un reportage sur les belles choses de la vie, ça te plairait d’être interviewé(e) ?
“I’m doing a report on beautiful things of life, would you mind being interviewed?”
- La seule chose que je voudrais changer chez toi est ton nom de famille.
“The only thing I’d like to change about you is your surname.”
- Il y a tellement de soleil dans tes yeux que je bronze quand tu me regardes.
“There is so much sun in your eyes that I get a tan when you look at me.”
- Tu t’appelles Google ? Parce que je trouve en toi tout ce que je recherche.
“Is your name Google? Because I find in you everything that I’m looking for.”
- Excusez-moi madame mais vous êtes absolument charmante.
“Excuse me, miss, but you are absolutely charming.”
- À part être sexy et me rendre timide, tu fais quoi dans la vie ?
“Apart from being sexy and making me shy, what do you do for a living?”
German pick-up lines
Although it is not considered as romantic as the other languages on this list, German is one of the most spoken languages in the world. Therefore, it has quite a few conversation openers you can use during your next trip to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, South Tyrol (Italy), Belgium or Liechtenstein.
Here are some of the smoothest German pick-up lines.
- Glaubst du an Liebe auf den ersten Blick? Ich kann auch rausgehen und nochmal reinkommen.
“Do you believe in love at first sight? Otherwise, I can leave and come back again.” – not the first time we’re seeing this pick-up line on our list. If you say it in a funny way, it could be charming.
- Ich hatte einen schlechten Tag. Möchtest du einen Kaffee mit mir trinken und meinen Tag retten?
“I had a bad day. Would you like to drink a coffee with me and save my day?”
- Denkst du, wir haben einen gemeinsamen Freund, der uns einander vorstellen könnte?
“Do you think that we have a mutual friend who could introduce us to each other?”
- Ich habe bemerkt, dass du mich nicht bemerkst. Das wollte ich gerne ändern.
“I’ve noticed that you didn’t notice me. I’d like to change that.”
- Hi, kannst du mir kurz helfen? Ich weiß nicht, welches T-Shirt besser aussieht. Was meinst du?
“Hi, can you help me quickly? I don’t know which t-shirt looks better. What do you think?” – a very smooth pick-up line you can use while shopping and a great way to make small talk and engage someone in a conversation.
- Ich möchte dich nicht dumm anmachen, aber ich hätte nichts dagegen, wenn du es tust.
“I don’t want to hit on you, but I wouldn’t mind if you did.”
Italian pick-up lines
Oh, la bella Italia! When you think about romance, love and the language of love, your thoughts immediately travel to Italy or France. Is there anything more romantic and beautiful than a summer trip to the Amalfi Coast?
But are Italian are romantic as they are depicted in popular culture? Well, in a way yes. Italian men are quite often passionate and romantic, but Italian women are usually not too fond of excessive sweetness from strangers. However, they love a good joke. So here are the best Italian pick-up lines.
- Sei così bella che stasera una stella, guardandoti, esprimerà un desiderio.
“You’re so beautiful that tonight a star will look at you and make a wish.”
- O tu sei la più bella del mondo oppure io non viaggio abbastanza.
“Either you’re the most beautiful woman in the world or I don’t travel enough.”
- Sei così bella che mi hai fatto dimenticare quello che volevo dirti.
“You’re so beautiful that I completely forgot what was about to say.”
- Ti va di prendere un caffè insieme? Sul serio, non ho secondi fini. Voglio solo stare seduto al tavolo finché non ci innamoriamo.
“Would you like to have a coffee with me? I swear there are no ulterior motives. I just wanna sit at the table with you until we both fall in love.”
- Mi devi un caffè! Il mio è caduto a terra appena ti ho vista.
“You owe me a coffee! I dropped mine the moment I saw you.” – as you probably know, in Italy, coffee is a religion so it’s no surprise that quite a few pick-up lines include this beverage.
- Eccomi, scusa per il ritardo, è molto che mi aspetti?
“Here I am, sorry I’m late, have you been waiting long?” – you see a girl alone at a table in a coffee shop and you just sit at her table pretending you were the person she was waiting for. Presumptuous. Yes. Too confident? Probably, but isn’t that what women want in a man?
- Sto scrivendo un libro di numeri telefonici. Potresti darmi il tuo?
“I’m writing a book about phone numbers. Can I please have yours?”
- Ho perso il mio numero di telefono, potresti prestarmi il tuo?
“I lost my phone number; can I borrow yours?”
Portuguese pick-up lines
Last but not least, Brazilians also have quite a few fun conversation openers. Here are some of the most popular Portuguese pick-up lines.
- Preciso de um dicionário com urgência, porque, quando vi você, fiquei sem palavras.
“I need a dictionary urgently because when I saw you, I ran out of words.”
- Me chama de urna eletrônica e me dá seu voto de confiança.
“Call me a ballot box and give me your vote of confidence.”
- Acreditas no amor à primeira vista, ou tenho de cá passar outra vez?
“Do you believe in love at first sight or should I pass by again?”
- Sabe estacionar? Porque tem uma vaga o meu coração.
“You know how to park? Because there’s a spot in my heart.” – maybe a bit too confident. Try using it with someone you already know.
- Você vem sempre aqui?
“Do you come here often?” – nice, simple and straightforward
Learn a new language for love
Did you use one of these pick-up lines and successfully broke the ice? Nice job. Or maybe you just want to learn more? Get Mondly now and enrich your flirting vocabulary with a dedicated category on “Romance”.
After finishing this category, you’ll be able to talk about relationships, invite somebody out and ask questions about other people’s hobbies.
If things get serious, you can further use Mondly to break the communication barrier and learn the language of the one you love. It’s super fun, easy and effective. You’ll speak like a native in no time.